If the time has come to build a shelter for your car, van, boat or other vehicle(s) you have two basic choices: the garage or the carport. Which one you choose will be driven by a slew of factors from the climate where you live to the type of vehicle you need to house to the security situation in your neighborhood and, of course, your budget. Even then it’s not a simple choice to make because either one will then drive other considerations like maintenance, potential garage door repair and scalability for years to come. Below we’re going to look at the relative merits of each type of vehicle shelter and hopefully help you determine which one might be right for you.
Denver’s #1 Garage Door Repair Company Chimes in on the Garage Vs Carport Debate
Besides the home our vehicles are the largest individual investments most of us will make. Buy a quality car, house it properly and take good care of it and it may last you 20 years and still fetch a decent price when you sell it. Leave it out exposed to the elements however, and the paint will wear away, upholstery will be bleached by the sun (as will tires) and metal components like the frame, suspension and engine mounts will corrode and undermine the car’s integrity. That your vehicles are better off shielded from the elements is beyond debate. The question is which type of shelter is best?
There are some who take the position that only people with not much on their mind worry about their car getting rained or snowed on. Cars are, after all, built from pretty tough stuff and designed to endure whatever mother nature can throw at them (within reason of course). If the notion of paying for garage door opener repair at some point doesn’t appeal to you a nice carport may be just the thing you’re looking for. And you wouldn’t be alone.
- Protection - A carport does a good job shielding your vehicle from snow, rain, sleet and sun.
- Convenience - No waiting for the garage door to open. Just get in the car and go.
- Cost effectiveness - There’s no doubt a carport is a fraction of the cost of a garage.
- High tech options - If you enjoy being up on the latest trends carports are where it’s at.
- Choice - Today’s carports are often portable so you can set yours up wherever you like.
- Low maintenance - You won’t ever have to call for garage door repair in Loveland.
- No horizontal protection - There’s no protection from blowing snow, dirt, sleet and rain.
- Fragile - During a heavy weather event there’s a very real risk the carport could blow away.
- Unsafe - While your vehicle may be shielded from what’s falling from the sky you are not protected from thugs in the driveway.
While some believe cars are mature technology and it’s high time we kicked them out of the nest there’s little doubt that the garage delivers a level of comfort and safety that simply aren’t available with the carport. And by that we mean comfort and safety for you. You are, or at least you should be, the most important consideration and if you have kids, then even more so. On a dark night there’s nothing like knowing there’s a heavy steel garage door between you and the elements or you and the local hoods. Here are some pros and cons of the garage.
- Comfort - You’re totally shielded from all weather events except the cold and heat.
- Safety - There’s a thick, heavy door between you and whoever may be out there.
- Durability - You won’t be replacing the garage after every blizzard like you may with a carport.
- Value - A garage will add real world bottom line value to your home.
- Cost - Building a garage is a major expense though you’ll also enjoy enhanced home valuation.
- Maintenance - You’ll need to maintain your new garage just like you do the rest of your home.
- Energy costs - Chances are your garage will act like a vacuum sucking heat out of adjoining rooms in the winter time.
While it’s true that you never have to pay to fix the garage door or for any other type of garage door repair in Boulder, CO if you go the carport route, you also won’t be adding any real value to your home, your security will be compromised by having to get in and out of the car outdoors and eventually all that precipitation bashing your car from the sides will take its toll. To learn more about why garages are superior to carports or to schedule Broomfield garage door repair give us a call today on (303) 920-2267.