When you are choosing a new garage door, it is important to consider how durable it is likely to be, whether it is well insulated and how much it will cost but aside from these practical considerations there is the matter of aesthetics: what will your new door look like once it has been installed? Will it complement your home or will it stick out like a sore thumb? Is it in keeping with the aesthetics of your neighborhood or will it make your home look like it doesn’t quite belong? To make sure that you do not make a big mistake when ordering a new door, consider the guidelines in the following sections. As experienced garage door installers, we have helped many local homeowners to pick the perfect doors for their properties.
Making Sure Your New Garage Door Is Both Beautiful and Functional
Curb appeal is important to many homeowners and if you want to make sure that your new garage door complements your house, consider the following factors before you buy:
- What You Use Your Garage for – If you only ever use your garage for its intended purpose, i.e. to park your car, you may wish to focus on garage doors without windows. A smart steel or solid wooden door is often the best choice for utilitarian garages that are only used for vehicle storage and nothing else. If, on the other hand, you use your garage as a rehearsal studio for your band or as a workshop or hobby room, a door with windows will be more appropriate. Not only will such a door make the space a more pleasant one in which to spend time but, from the outside, it will help your garage to blend in with the rest of your home.
- Architectural Style of Your Home – If you live in a very modern home, an old-fashioned carriage house style garage door is unlikely to be a good choice. A sleek, steel door would be a much better fit for such a home, or perhaps an aluminum and glass door that matches the color of the exterior of your property. If you need any help picking a door that complements the architectural style of your home, please feel free to call and speak to us at any time. In addition to being a reputable garage door installation company serving customers in Denver and the surrounding area, we also supply a wide range of high-quality doors in many different styles.
- Color of Your Front Door and Exterior Paintwork – When you are choosing your new garage door, color is, of course, an important consideration. You don’t want to buy a door that will clash with your exterior paintwork; you want a door that will complement it. While some homeowners use their garage door to provide a splash of color in an otherwise muted exterior color scheme, others prefer to install a door that is of a similar color to the rest of the exterior but a slightly lighter or darker tone. It is not a good idea, however, to choose a garage door that is exactly the same color as your front door. Your front door should be the main focus of your home when visitors arrive and installing a garage door that matches it will steal focus away: your home will no longer have a single focal point and will lose curb appeal as a consequence.
- Other Homes in Your Neighborhood – You don’t have to follow the lead of your neighbors and choose a garage door that is of a similar style to everybody else’s but you might like to consider what they have installed before you make your final choice. Some homeowners want their properties to stand out while others want a door that helps their homes to blend in. Whatever effect you're aiming for, A Better Garage Door can help. We carry out garage door installation in Denver and the surrounding towns and cities every day, which means we always have a very good idea what type of garage doors people in different neighborhoods are choosing for their homes. We can help you pick a garage door that will complement your property perfectly and blend in well with other properties in the neighborhood. Alternatively, we can help you to find a door that complements your home at the same time as providing a pleasing contrast when compared to other garage doors in the area: the choice is yours.
These are the most important factors to consider as far as aesthetics are concerned. Below, we offer a few suggestions for specific types of homes.
Style Tips From Your Local Garage Door Installation Company
If you want some quick tips for choosing a door that goes well with your specific type of property, the following suggestions are sure to be of interest.
- Modern Homes – A bold stained wood or perhaps something in aluminum and glass is a good choice for a contemporary home.
- Ranch Style Homes – A door with horizontal wooden panels and plain hardware would look good on this type of property.
- Period Properties – A carriage house door or any other type of door with divided light windows would be a good option for a period home.
If you need any more tips or you would like a quote for a new door, including installation, call the garage door installers you can trust. We look forward to hearing from you!