If you are experiencing problems with your garage door that have you baffled it may be because the problem isn’t actually with your garage door at all. Before you call the garage door repair company stop for a moment and consider the possibility that the problem is actually with the garage door remote. The remote is an often overlooked component in the garage door equation but it shouldn’t be. It’s crucial to both the design and execution of the garage door concept and without it you’re back to getting out of your car in the driving rain or snow and opening the door by hand. Below we’re going to take a look at some common problems associated with the garage door remote.
Not Every Problem Calls for Garage Door Repair
When the garage door doesn’t open for some reason people tend to whip out the phone and call for garage door repair in Loveland or Commerce City. While that’s perhaps understandable there’s also a decent chance the problem is not with the garage door at all, but rather with the remote. Here is the rundown on some basic garage door remote malfunctions.
- Limited Range Syndrome - If it seems as though the door doesn’t want to open until you are practically right on top of it the problem may stem from some other device in your home that is interfering with the radio frequency of your remote. What will make the offending device devilishly difficult to find is that it will probably show no signs of malfunctioning itself, even though it’s giving your garage door remote fits. Potential troublemakers include surge protectors, battery chargers, cable amplifiers, alarm systems or anything that relies on or otherwise utilizes a timer. If the problem comes and goes it’s safe to assume that whatever is causing the interference is not on all the time, but rather being turned on and off. If you are unable to find the culprit you may, unfortunately, have to replace your remote.
- Dirty Eyes - The IR unit on your remote is covered by a piece of clear plastic known as an eye. The eye allows the signal to pass through to the opener. If this eye is dirty it might be interfering with the operation of the remote. Clean the eye using a soft damp cloth so as not to scratch it and then try again. If your problem is a dirty eye chances are this will be sufficient to fix it. If this doesn’t do the trick you may have to call for garage door opener repair or you may have to replace the remote.
- Dead Batteries - Without a doubt the most common of all garage door remote problems is dead batteries. We get quite a few calls each year from people who believe they need garage door repair in Commerce City, CO when in fact all they need to do is put new batteries in the remote. Before you pick up the phone and call us to come fix the garage door take the batteries out of your garage door remote and put them in another device to see if they work. If the other device fails as well you know what the problem is.
- Dirty Battery Contacts - Sometimes something will get spilled on the remote or it will become soiled in some other way. The result is that the battery contacts inside become dirty and lose their ability to effectively transmit power from the battery to the circuit board of the remote. If you are sure the batteries are okay take a look at the battery contacts. If they are worn, wet or somehow soiled take a clean cloth and wipe them down until they are nice and clean then try the remote again. If the problem is a stubborn stain you may have to polish the contacts with a super fine sandpaper (400 grit) or steel wool.
- General Malfunctions and Resetting - If you can’t put your finger on exactly what the problem is but you are reasonably sure the opener is the source of your difficulties you may have to reset it. If yours if a fairly new system resetting is not that big a deal. Simply look for the button on the motor that says either “learn” or “home”. Hit this button and then aim the remote at the opener and hit “open”. This should reset the system. If you have an older system resetting is a more involved process and may vary from opener to opener. Check your owner’s manual for specific instructions.
If you are having trouble opening your garage door check your remote before calling for Commerce City garage door repair. While it’s not certain the problem is related to the remote there is a good chance it might be.