The garage door is a marvel of modern engineering that allows you to enter and exit your home without ever having to directly interact with the weather. In truth, for most people with an automatic garage door on their house, it is the main entrance. The de facto “front door” in all but name. Still, as convenient, quiet, dependable, attractive and easy to maintain as the garage door is it’s still several hundred pounds of wood, steel, glass and more powered by an electric motor and tightly wound, highly dangerous springs. As such proper garage door service in Northglenn is essential if everyone who interacts with the door is to do so safely.
The Importance of Garage Door Service in Broomfield and Northglenn
The potential for the garage door to cause harm must be respected. Those who take a cavalier attitude toward garage door safety are usually those who wind up experiencing injury, damage to their property or worse. Here are some common sense safety tips experts suggest you take to heart when it comes to your garage door.
- Don’t ever touch the door while it’s moving - The average sectional garage door has 4 or 5 rows of panels with hinges at the top and bottom of each row. These enable the door to turn the corner from vertical to horizontal and slide into the ceiling area above your car. Each one of these hinge points however, represents the potential loss of a finger or fingers. The pinching forces generated by the moving door can make short work of human flesh so you should never, ever, put your hands anywhere near the door or its hinge points while the door is in motion.
- Don’t ever try to repair garage door springs - Northglenn homeowners are not alone in thinking the opener lifts the door. When in reality the opener’s job is simply to get the door moving and then regulate that movement so that it’s nice and smooth. Most of the heavy lifting is actually done by the torsion or extension springs. These large industrial springs store massive amounts of energy in their coils. Enough to kill anyone who might be near them when they snap. If you suspect problems with your garage door springs in Broomfield leave them alone and call the pros to come take a look.
- Have any broken windows or panels replaced immediately - Broken panels can throw off the dynamics of the door which in turn might cause an accident. They’re also a security hazard in that they make it easier for the local B&E guys - who are always casing homes to look for weak points - to gain entry to your home. Broken glass panels are an even greater threat because they not only make it easier for criminals to gain access, but the broken glass can cause injury to you, your family members and your pets
- Make sure the auto-reverse is always working - The auto reverse mechanism consists of a beam of light that is projected across the opening of the door. If someone (like your child) or something (like your pet) breaks that beam of light while the door is closing it will immediately stop, reverse course and return to the open position. This simple but extremely effective mechanism has a weak point however, in that the electric eye can sometimes become misaligned. Thereby rendering the auto reverse useless. From time to time check on the auto-reverse and make sure it’s working properly. Do this by opening the door while standing back from it and then breaking the beam with a broom while the door is closing. It should immediately reverse course and return to the open position. If it doesn’t call for garage door service in Northglenn or Broomfield.
- Don’t play chicken with the door - Some folks are fond of hitting the “close” button and then trying to dash out of the garage before the door comes down. Of course the auto-reverse should prevent the door from closing if you break the beam. But if you slide under the beam the door will continue to close. If you just happen to get stuck under the closing door or bang your head on it as you try to slip out things could get very nasty very quick. Don’t play chicken with the door.
- Have the door checked regularly - The best way to ensure you are not the victim of accidents caused by broken springs or cables, misaligned tracks, stuck rollers or a faulty motor is to have your overhead garage door inspected on an annual or twice-annual basis. In this way any small issues that might be gestating can be identified and corrected before they grow into serious situations. Remember the garage door hanging over your head may weigh several hundred pounds and there is not much you can do to protect yourself if it comes crashing down on you or your car.
The Bottom Line
You certainly have no reason to be afraid of your garage door, any more than you need to be afraid of your car. But, as is the case with the car, you need to make sure you don’t operate the garage door recklessly or ignore signs of potential trouble. And if you suspect something is wrong the right thing to do is to call A Better Garage Door for garage door service in Broomfield or Northglenn. Take the above tips to heart and you should have a long happy relationship with your door.