There was a time when all garage doors were made of natural wood. You can still get wood doors, or that "wood look", but for the most part those days are behind us. In recent years the garage door industry has moved beyond wood and embraced a slew of new materials from which to fabricate their doors. Fiberglass, aluminum, various composites and even plastic are now in the mix, but perhaps no material has intruded on wood’s primacy as the go-to material for the garage door as much as steel.
Why Steel Garage Doors Have Become So Popular in Broomfield
As it turns out, steel offers a number of advantages over wood and the other materials listed above that makes it, in many ways, the perfect material to build these doors from. As a result, there are plenty of people in the industry who will tell you that, aside from garnering interest as a kind of specialty item, the days of the wood garage door are numbered and the other materials don’t stand much chance of making a significant dent in steel’s ever growing market share.
Some of steel’s many advantages include:
- Durability - When it comes to long lasting durability, nothing comes close to steel. Whereas with wood you’d be fighting an endless battle against decay, with steel your doors are ready and willing to take on the worst of the Colorado climate and come out the other side unscathed year after year. No more warping. No more rot along the base. No more painting and repainting to keep the elements at bay. No more replacing cracked panels every year. And, as all of this implies, steel door maintenance is a fraction of what it is on wooden doors.
- Energy Efficiency - Steel garage doors insulated with polyurethane or polystyrene play a major role in keeping the cold out and the heat in. This is particularly important if your garage is located under other occupied rooms in the house. With wooden doors your garage is basically a walk-in freezer in the winter time. Place that under an occupied 2nd floor room and you're looking at doubling or tripling the amount of energy you need to keep that room as warm as the rest of the house. With insulated steel doors you put an end to the freezer effect and start enjoying the savings effect.
- Affordability - Even with all of their advantages, steel doors are still less expensive than wooden doors. In some cases significantly less expensive. A customized wooden door may cost you 2 or 3 times as much as a customized steel door. And even with the added expense the wooden door will never match the energy savings the insulated steel door will deliver and which could cover the cost of its installation in just a few years.
- Customizability - Steel doors from A Better Garage Door can be customized with your choice of window style options and different types of glass to create a garage door that will mesh seamlessly with any style of home exterior. In addition, Accent Planks can give your new steel doors the look and feel of sumptuous natural wood without the maintenance headaches that come with that material.
- Safety and Security - Many home intrusions begin with criminals exploiting weak spots in wooden doors. They’ll never have that opportunity with your steel doors. Not only that, but if by some unfortunate turn of events your home should catch fire, your steel doors won’t contribute to making things worse and can even provide you with a fire-free exit if need be.
- Beauty - With all the color, texture, window style and glass options available for today’s steel overhead doors there is sure to be a look to serve your needs and desires. Steel doors will add beauty and balance to any home exterior while delivering secure, energy-efficient functionality at the same time.
- Enhanced Value - All that beauty will also deliver enhanced curb appeal to beat the band. Developers and real estate agents agree that new insulated steel garage doors can substantially increase your ability to sell your home in a timely fashion and for a better price than if you had old, non-insulated wooden doors in place.
- Environmental Responsibility - No old growth forests or dwindling stands of hardwood have to be cut down to create your steel doors. Recycled steel is used in 80-100% of the construction of our doors. Also, should you at some future date decide to replace your doors the steel can be completely recycled; whereas the panels from your old wooden doors will simply be relegated to the landfill.
- Long Term Satisfaction - While wooden doors will always carry the panache of being constructed from a completely natural material, that panache can wear off pretty fast when your garage is freezing in the winter, your home is harder to heat, you’re on your 3rd repainting or the freeze/thaw cycle has reduced many of your beautiful wooden panels to splinters. It’s often only after a few years that owners of new steel doors finally come to truly appreciate the low-maintenance value and energy savings they represent.
Steel makes sense in every area of concern related to overhead garage doors. It delivers enhanced safety and security, enhanced durability, enhanced energy efficiency as well as long term savings on maintenance. In addition there is no home design steel doors won’t work with, no burglar who will find them easy pickings, no need to clean out your bank account to install them and no reason they won’t last as long as your home does.
Today’s steel overhead doors represent the pinnacle of efficient, effective 21st century home technology that have earned their reputation for both beauty and toughness. At A Better Garage Door we are full converts to the many and varied advantages overhead steel doors offer to homeowners in Boulder, Arvada and beyond. If you are contemplating replacing your old wooden doors, call us on (303) 920-2267. We’ll answer all your questions and provide you with all of the information you need to make an informed decision regarding the amazing value proposition that is the steel garage door.