When people think about things that can impact the curb value as well as market value of their home they typically think of things like landscaping, a new paint job and perhaps new windows. What often gets left out of the discussion is the garage door. But it shouldn’t be. In most cases the garage door is the single biggest element of the home’s exterior. Depending on how the home is oriented to the street it may make up 1/4 to 1/3 of what people see when they look at the house. In this post we’ll examine that and other reasons why the garage door is so important to your home’s overall value.
The Market Impact of Garage Doors
Real estate agents everywhere will tell you that the garage door plays a significant role in determining the market value of your home. This may not seem like a very fair thing, after all your home may have a dozen other features you feel make it worthy of enhanced value and these should not be overlooked because of a less than perfect garage door. But there are a lot of good reasons why the garage door exerts such an influence on home values and below we’ll look at 5.
- Appearance: As we stated at the beginning of this piece the garage door is an enormous visual component typically presenting viewers with up to ⅓ of what they see of your house from the street. As such if your garage door is in shabby condition it’s like a black eye on the homes exterior: no one will see anything else. Likewise if the door is simply a bad match stylistically (something that happens all too often) then there will be a similar visual disconnect; and visual disconnects are never good for home values.
- Energy Efficiency: Chances are if your garage door is more than 10 years old it’s allowing plenty of precious heat to escape into the atmosphere. You may not feel it directly but it’s there on your monthly energy bill. Replace your leaky old garage door with a new, insulated, energy efficient door and you’ll notice the difference right away. Having a home that wastes energy today is a major drag on valuations so the more energy efficient and better insulated your garage door the more valuable your home.
- Noise Reduction: An old garage door can be a real squeak factory that’s for sure. Rattling, scraping, rocking and rolling its way up and down the track it can sound like there’s a war going on in your garage every time the door opens, particularly to anyone who has the misfortune of having a room above the garage. Rocking and rolling might draw people into the local roadhouse but it’s going to depress the value of your home until the door is fixed or replaced.
- Security: An old garage door that doesn’t close tightly and has cracked wooden panels is a sitting duck for enterprising home intruders. The valuation of such a home will take a big hit because of this compromised security profile. Even garage door repair may be inadequate for a home that the local B&E guys have targeted as an easy mark. Replacing that old door with a new steel door that closes tight as a drum and provides no cracks or weak spots for burglars to exploit will result in greater home valuation.
- Convenience: Old garage doors are prone to opening slowly, closing incompletely and breaking down while in motion. Nothing’s worse than arriving home in a driving rain and having the door get stuck halfway up. Who would want to buy a home with such an unreliable garage door? Not many people which is why an old garage door can negatively affect the market value of your home. Today’s energy efficient garage doors open quickly and quietly and are several times as reliable as their counterparts of just a decade ago.
The Bottom Line in Thornton and Westminster
For all of the above reasons your garage door will have an impact on the bottom line value of your home regardless of all the time and effort you may have put into the interior decoration or even if your home was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright himself. As such there’s no better time than the present to consider garage door repair or installing a new garage door on your home, particularly if you are contemplating putting it up for sale.
Market values are funny things often affected by intangibles, like garage doors. Don’t let something as easily fixable as the garage door drag down the value of your home. Give the pros at A Better Garage Door a call today to discuss what type of door would be a perfect match for your Westminster or Thornton home. A better looking, more convenient, safer, more energy efficient and more valuable home is just a phone call away.