While garages are often overlooked, they have become a hugely desirable feature of American homes in recent years. In fact, statistics suggest that around 80 percent of Americans have a garage or carport, and almost 90 percent of garage owners say they have plans to improve their space – with a new garage door installation being high on the list.
Indeed, garage doors are also easily overlooked. Most people don't realize that their garage door says a lot about them. It's often the first thing people see when they drive past or arrive at your home. And that's perhaps not surprising, given the size of most garage doors! They are, without a doubt, the most prominent part of your front yard.
Your garage door is also a safety mechanism - keeping people (and pests) out, and keeping your personal belongings and prized possessions safe. From cars to coins, bikes to baseball bats, we store a huge amount of stuff in our garages – all of which we want to keep in good condition so that we can use it again someday (or sell it, maybe).
This is why you should never take a stuck garage door, or broken garage door springs, lightly. And, what’s more, you shouldn’t take your garage door installation lightly, either. It’s vitally important that these contraptions are fitted properly, by a professional, and that they work as they should all year round.
Parker and Broomfield Garage Door Installation Specialists
As a company specializing in overhead door repair in Parker, Broomfield, and the surrounding areas, we are contacted by so many customers for whom this, unfortunately, isn’t the case. This is because they have usually overlooked the quality of workmanship from people they’ve hired to fit a new door, or they haven’t paid enough attention to their garage door during their latest house purchase.
Thankfully, we're here to help. Here are some clear signs that your garage door might not have been installed properly, and some advice on what you can do if this is the case…
Things to Watch Out For
Having had many years of experience dealing with garage door repair, we know a thing or two about what might indicate a poor garage door installation. Here are a few things we think you should look for when you next inspect your door:
- Excessive Noise – Properly installed doors shouldn’t make a lot of noise when they open and close. If they do make any noise, it should be smooth. However, if the noise is loud and offensive – such as grinding or screeching – it’s likely that something is wrong. On a recently fitted door, it is a sign it’s not been installed properly.
- Slow Response – One common issue with remote-controlled doors is that the door is slow to respond to the buttons you press. This could be down to dead batteries (always worth checking before calling anyone out) or something worse, such as a remote malfunction.
- Dodgy Alignment – One surefire way to check your door has been fitted well is to step back and take a quick look at it. Does it look even? How about when it is half closed? If you notice one side is lower than the other, then it's likely your overhead door installation hasn’t been done right.
- Broken Springs – The springs are a huge part of a garage door and it goes without saying that broken garage door springs can be very dangerous. The springs are designed to make lifting your door easier, as they hold a large amount of tension and take the weight for you. If you spot a broken spring, or you find it hard to lift the door manually, it would suggest there is a problem!
What to Do If You Are Concerned
As your local Parker and Broomfield garage door repair experts, here are our top tips on what to do if you find issues with your door:
- Identify The Issue – First and foremost, try and identify the issue yourself. There is a chance that it could be a quick fix, such as changing the battery in your remote. And, if it isn’t, it’s always useful to be able to give us some insight before we arrive.
- Avoid Further Use – Even if the issue is only small, garage doors that haven’t been installed properly can be really dangerous. Please don’t use it whilst you wait for a professional!
- Contact Our Garage Door Repair Pros – Now you’ve identified the problem, and stopped using the door, you can get in touch with a reputable company that you can trust. Ideally, us! Either way, though, it might be worth avoiding the original installation company, at the very least.
Parker and Broomfield Garage Door Repair
The team here at A Better Garage Door, Inc. has been providing a specialist and personal garage door installation and garage door repair service for many years. We love what we do, and whether you’ve got issues with broken garage door springs or a stuck garage door, or perhaps you don’t know what the problem is and need a reliable overhead door repair service, we can help.
Our mission is to help you get a better garage door. That’s it. We also want to ensure you get the best possible service from us so that you'll come back again and again. If you're satisfied with our services, tell your friends so they'll call us next time they need garage door repairs, too!